Waste Management WM Career Day - Overnight Dispatcher Combo in PORTLAND, Oregon
Title: WM Career Day - Overnight Dispatcher Combo
Location: United States-Oregon-Portland
Job Number: 18004019
WM National Career Day Event - Thursday, March 22nd 11am - 6pm
Walk ins Welcome
Overnight Dispatcher Position
4 Ten hour shifts
Thursday through Sunday
5pm to 4am
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Communicates back and forth with Waste Management Drivers to assist with problem resolution while on route for residential, commercial and roll-off lines of business. Handles incoming service orders, directs drivers, and resolves service issues. Interacts with customers that includes Waste Management customer service, sales, and operational staff (i.e. Route Managers, Mechanics etc.). Uses Waste Management proprietary software to enter ticket information and track activity. Shifts vary with the potential for overtime and Saturday hours depending particular site needs. Some initial travel (up to 15%) may be required to assist with centralization efforts.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Dispatches drivers to calls as they are received, using information on customer needs, drivers’ locations and loads, and daily factors to balance cost and speed of response
- Works with routing specialists, route managers, and the service department to optimize routes
- Assists in determining daily level of driver staffing to provide best mix of responsiveness and productivity
- Assigns routes and service tickets to appropriate Drivers throughout the day and for the next day; close service tickets each day
- Handles fields incoming calls and e-mails from customer service and sales department; manages requests for pick-up or container delivery and ensuring same-day service
- Initiates outbound calls to customers while drivers are on-site/location, resolving pick-up and other issues
- Troubleshoots and resolves potential delivery and pick-up problems before they result in service issues
- Ensures same-day service on missed pick-ups by coordinating Driver movement in the field
- Records and documents information from Drivers and distributes to appropriate departments
- Communicates with maintenance shop personnel and serves as an emergency point of contact for down wires and other issues
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
- Education: High School Diploma or GED (accredited).
- Experience: 6 months of relevant work experience
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- None required.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Computer skills with ability to handle multiple programs and systems
- Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally via e-mail, telephone, and 2 way devices
- Must have the desire and ability to learn Waste Management proprietary software applications
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely;
Normal setting for this job is: office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Overtime Status: Non-exempt
Job Field: Operations