Waste Management Gas Technician II in OPELIKA, Alabama
Title: Gas Technician II
Location: United States-Alabama-Opelika
Job Number: 18004715
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Tired of just doing preventative maintenance or working only on engines? Are you ready to take the next step and work on equipment that requires a high level of skill - hydraulics, electrical, diagnostics - using modern maintenance practices and technologies? Are you looking for that right opportunity which will allow you to use and be rewarded for your skills and ability, and provide opportunity for growth? Our technicians are trained to provide superior maintenance on both diesel equipment and, at some locations, on our growing fleet of CNG trucks. We care about our technician’s safety and show it by demanding solid safety practices of all our technicians and managers. Pride, safety, training, growth, opportunity, great benefits, rewards – check us out, we may be the company for you.
I. Job Summary
This position reports to the Gas Operations Manager and is responsible for the operation and maintenance of landfill gas collection and control systems (GCCS). The GCCS consists of a series of extraction points known as wells, interconnected via piping. The collected gas is transported using gas conveyance equipment (such as a fan or blower). Landfill gas (LFG) collected by this extraction system from the landfill’s wellfield is combusted within a flare. Proper operation of the GCCS is required to comply with various State and Federal environmental regulations.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities.
The individual must have the ability to work independently without direct supervision and perform the following essential duties satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned and vary by location.
- Properly operate and maintain GCCS in a timely and cost effective manner to ensure regulatory compliance and optimize performance.
- GCCS operation and maintenance includes:
- Calibrate, operate and maintain sensitive electronic data collection devices necessary to optimize LFG collection from the wellfield.
- Collect and manage data entry from wellfield extraction and environmental monitoring locations.
- Implement the GCCS preventative maintenance plan.
- Operate and maintain liquid management system pneumatic or electric driven pumps (troubleshoot and determine liquid levels within liquid containment structures and LFG collection wells).
- Perform wellfield adjustments, data collection and maintenance; interpret data.
- Install and maintain Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) and High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) piping systems.
- Operate and maintain Blower / flare equipment
- Perform condensate management system maintenance
- Monitor landfill gas migration probes where required
- Complete the WM Landfill Gas Technician I Training.
- Assist Market Area GOM with coordinating contractor activities.
- Follow job related health and safety requirements and procedures.
- Available for on-call response to GCCS related malfunction event(s).
- Troubleshoot GCCS and related systems.
- Review GCCS operating data.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Not required
- Experience: 3 years GCCS operating experience or satisfactory completion of WM LFG Technician Level II required competencies
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Valid and unrestricted driver’s license
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- 21 years of age or greater
- Intermediate computer skills (i.e., email, web browser, Microsoft - Windows Excel and Word)
- Strong mechanical and technical skills/aptitude
- Intermediate understanding of environmental regulations related to GCCS operations
- Advanced understanding of landfill gas instrumentation and wellfield tuning and troubleshooting activities
- Full understanding of job related health and safety issues
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills (unless in Canadian provinces)
- Knowledge of the use of various piping material systems such as Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) or High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) pipe fusion
V. Work Environment
Key points regarding the environmental demands and work environment are listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, monitoring device use, machine operation, etc.) most of the workday
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects up to __ pounds: on occasion
- Required to work outdoors, work involves exposure to dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes, or similar elements.
- Required to walk over steep and rough terrain for considerable distances on a daily basis
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (safety glasses, hardhat, safety boots, safety vest, personal multi-gas monitor, etc.) in accordance with company Health and Safety standards
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability.As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more!Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days.Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Overtime Status: Non-exempt
Job Field: Technician/Mechanic