Waste Management Labor Relations Manager - Oakland, CA in OAKLAND, California
Title: Labor Relations Manager - Oakland, CA
Location: United States-California-Oakland
Job Number: 17019970
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
The Northern California Nevada (NCN) Area Labor & Employee Relations Manager will report to and is expected to assist the NCN Area Director of Human Resources as follows:
- To manage and/or assist Corporate Labor Relations and/or Office of General Counsel in union campaigns - both organizing activities (Unit Determination and Decertification procedures) in full accordance with State and Federal laws.
- To conduct compliance audits of the various Business Units (Sites) and to do so in accordance with WM practices, which may include and is not limited to preparing written reports, orally presenting findings and recommendations to Area Leadership and other management committees or BU Management Teams. Reports will include, observations, findings, and any other information that is applicable to ascertaining the working conditions and/or compliance with all State and Federal laws as well as all terms and conditions of the respective Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA’s). Incumbent may also be required to conduct analysis, investigations of various matter germane to Union organizing and causal factors leading to unionization. This analysis includes for example, compensation design and managerial practices and recommendations for change.
- To monitor implementation of policies and or revisions to policies concerning wages, hours, and other working conditions to ensure compliance with terms of collective bargaining agreements and State and Federal laws.
- To arrange and schedule meetings between parties in labor disputes to investigate and resolve grievances or to meet regularly to hold Labor/Management discussions. Act as Company representative in grievance meetings and general Labor/Management Meetings.
- To coordinate and work with internal and outside legal counsel relative to any labor arbitration, related government agency claims or other court proceedings, which may include the National Labor Relations Board.
- To advise and collaborate with local District, Market Area and Corporate management to facilitate positive employee relations and communicate management’s policies on labor relations. And, to assist with Management Development regarding Labor & Employee Relations or other General Human Resources Training and Skills delivery.
- To meet regularly with the shop stewards and designated union officials.
- To remain current with labor and employment laws (State and Federal), new developments regarding Human Resources and Labor & Employee Relations.
Other Expectations - Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- Good interpersonal communications skills – active listening with ability to hone in on necessary clarification of information; empathetic and sincere desire to understand others’ viewpoints or concerns; and effectively conveying information to others.
- Good conflict management and negotiation skills - capable of bringing others together and managing reconciliation processes to resolve differences or issues at dispute between parties.
- Use of logic, reasonableness and analysis to identify the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches or arguments; and, issue (problem) identification (framed in general as well as legal terms to more effectively communicate with a variety of professional level disciplines – Legal, HR, etc.) as well as forecast or foresee future adverse impacts or benefits to be derived from present actions.
- Must understand the fundamentals of Business or Agency Law (Agency Relationships; Contracts; etc.) and communicate effectively both orally and in writing; and, must have good reading comprehension skills to ascertain and/or craft Contract Terms and Conditions.
- Good time management skills are essential to successful performance in this position and this includes managing others’ time.
- Identifying downstream consequences. Determining the long-term outcomes of a change in operations.
- Good persuasion and influence skills – move others to recognize and appreciate different points of view and to accept alternative options.
- Up to or approximately, 50% travel may be required as business needs arise. Travel will be throughout N California and Nevada; (Reno and surrounding cities).
- This job has no supervisory duties, but may occasionally act as a team lead.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
- Education: High School Diploma or GED (accredited)
- Experience: 5 years of relevant work experience
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Valid driver's license
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: both office and facility setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Overtime Status: Exempt
Job Field: Human Resources