Waste Management Supervisor, MRF- Recycling Facility night shift 8pm start in NEWARK, New Jersey
Title: Supervisor, MRF- Recycling Facility night shift 8pm start
Location: United States-New Jersey-Newark
Job Number: 18005919
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Waste Management has an exciting opportunity for an Operations Supervisor to supervise the NIGHT shift at the material recovery facility on St. Charles Street in Newark, NJ. The night shift starts at 8:00PM and typically ends at 6:00AM.
I. Job Summary
Supervises nightly activities of employees and processes of MRF operations on the night shift. The MRF operates 6 days per week on average, opening at 5am on Monday and closing around 12pm on Saturdays.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Identifies and oversees execution of procedures to maximize productivity and efficiency of the location.
- Supervises and manages daily schedules of employees and operations.
- Utilize Kronos for timekeeping
- Investigates, reviews and controls implementation of company regulations, policies and procedure and monitors for compliance.
- Reviews and evaluates work to ensure quality, timeliness and ensures quality control in adherence to policies and procedures. Ensures maintenance of equipment and facilities.
- Oversees personnel needs of the department including coaching, training, and evaluating employee performance. Provides input into termination, compensation, and promotion decisions.
- Conducts daily safety meetings
- Compiles and interprets data from daily transactions.
- Completes daily moisture readings from the baler
- Creates and submits daily, weekly and month end reports to senior management. Reports will contain data on tonnage, received and processed, production, headcount and environmental compliance.
- Reconciles P card to end of month report.
- May be expected to run equipment such as fork lift, wheel loader, street sweeper or turn on the system.
- Will be expected to attend a bi-weekly meeting on Mondays at 2:00pm. (Shift start will be earlier on those days).
- Will be expected to be on call to work rotating weekend shift, once every 3 weeks (Saturday and/or Sunday mornings only)
- Will be expected to earn a weighmasters license within 6 months of hire
- Perform monthly observations and document for all employees on the shift
- Interact with inspectors from the county, state and OSHA
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of non-supervisory employees. This includes:
- Direct supervision of 33 full-time employees including: sorters, equipment operators, drivers, laborers and maintenance technicians.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: High School Diploma or GED (accredited)
- Experience: Four (4) years of relevant work experience.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Preferred: Weighmaster License, Solid Waste Operators Certificate, CDL.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Recycling and/or trash collection operational experience may be required.
- Supervisory experience required
- Ability to operate equipment may be required
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) with little to no supervision on a daily basis is required
- Ability to be on call for a rotating weekend shift is required
- Ability to speak SPANISH is a strong preference**
- Ability to communicate effectively with upper level management and state/county inspectors required
- Ability to train during midday shift when hired
- Ability to travel to area offices for any training or meetings as needed
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Normal setting for this job is a transfer station or MRF/outdoor.
- Wearing PPE will be required
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Overtime Status: Exempt
Job Field: Operations