Waste Management District Manager II - Disposal Operations Fairless Hills Landfill Complex in MORRISVILLE, Pennsylvania
Title: District Manager II - Disposal Operations Fairless Hills Landfill Complex
Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Morrisville
Job Number: 18003123
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Waste Management has an exciting opportunity for a District Manager II of disposal operations at the Fairless Hills complex containing the landfill, mining operations, dock and recreation facility.
I. Job Summary
The District Manager will manage the day-to-day disposal operations of a single site or multiple sites, and establishes and maintain performance and productivity metrics and cost management processes.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the District, and provides daily support to managers in ensuring quality and budget performance.
- Monitors budget and operating metrics while diagnosing and improving processes, procedures, and performance.
- Executes the Market’s strategic capital budget, ensuring effective use of the budget through asset allocation; ensures appropriate spare ratios and asset disposal.
- Executes necessary precautions to ensure safety and compliance with Company, OSHA, and other standards and regulations.
- Ensures thorough root cause investigations for all injuries and incidents, following-up with consistent discipline and retraining.
- Oversees personnel needs of the department including selecting, coaching, disciplining, and training employees and evaluating employee performance.Provides input into termination, compensation, and promotion decisions.
- Formulates both short-term and long-term goals and action plans in conjunction with the Market Area General Manager and/or Director of Operations.
- Participates in regular P&L reviews to ensure that budgets are met; develops and implements programs for optimal equipment utilization, equipment maintenance, and labor and material costs.
- Primary responsibility of the landfill P&L and review, approval and oversight over multiple P&L's within the district.
- Interacts with local city, municipal, and county agencies to ensure customer satisfaction, improve efficiency, renew contracts and negotiate new contracts; establishes WM as a good corporate citizen and valued resource.
- Engages suppliers in problem solving and participates in suppliers’ improvement processes by providing performance feedback on supplier surveys.
- Minimizes the total number of suppliers used by working with Supplier Partners to eliminate/reduce the number of one-time suppliers.
- Works with functional groups to resolve employee relations and labor relations issues.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of supervisory employees.This includes:
- Direct supervision of approximately 12 direct reports consisting of District Managers, Engineers other managers and administrative personnel.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor's Degree (accredited) or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: 5 years of in a role with supervisory and P&L responsibility (in addition to education requirement).
- Bachelors or Master's degree preferred
- Prior experience in facility permitting and working with regulatory agencies strongly preferred
- Prior experience managing landfills and mining operations strongly preferred
- Prior experience managing a large budget strongly preferred
B.Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- None required.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Experience in a position involving at least 2 of the following: operations, customer service, community relations, health and safety, financial, and human resources function, experience as a supervisor or manager; experience implementing safety (OSHA) programs and equipment specifications, experience preparing and managing budgets, and experience resolving labor relations issues required.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Normal setting for this job is:office setting
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability.As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more!Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days.Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Overtime Status: Exempt
Job Field: Operations