Waste Management Operations Management Trainee - $2000 Special Bonus in MANITOBA, Canada
Title: Operations Management Trainee - $2000 Special Bonus
Job Number: 18004926
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Operations Management Trainee (OMT) is a position part of a required developmental training program for a duration of 6 to 9 months. The duties and responsibilities are under the direction and supervision of WM frontline managers (e.g., Fleet, Sales, District or Route Managers) related to the assigned business activity. This position, through assigned work activities and projects, will develop a working knowledge of the WM day-to-day hauling or post-collection business operations including but not limited to route auditing, analysis and improvement recommendations, safety rules and practices and the function and role of intra- company departments as it pertains to day to day business and long term goals (HR, Finance/Accounting, Customer Service). The OMT training program is designed to develop individuals into a frontline Route Manager role.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned and may vary by location.
- Hauling Operations: Responsible for the knowledge development and progressive understanding and expertise in route planning, auditing, analysis and improvement and related logistics systems
- Rides along with Waste Management drivers on existing routes to identify container weight and size, time, accessibility, risk, to determine the effectiveness of route sequencing, increase route efficiency, and document specific route and customer data.
- Works with all frontline managers to include Operations Improvement Manager, Fleet Manager, Sales Manager, District Managers, Route Managers and fellow Operations Management Trainees to effectively analyze routes to uncover improvement opportunities and review and implement corrective actions
- Develops a working knowledge of Waste Management's operational and general business applications including but not limited to Safety, Efficiency, Human Resources, Customer Service, Finance and Accounting and Financial Planning. The incumbent is responsible for building a comprehensive understanding of how these functions contribute to the day to day and long term success of the business and the employees
- Develops a strong understanding and dedication to the WM Safety Program; work with Corporate and local safety teams to continue to create an aware and observant safety conscious culture
- Periodically attends and contributes to driver safety meetings to promote a favorable working relationship among all employees
- Attend all mandatory training sessions; proficiency evaluations will occur following all sessions
- Participate in area mentor programs
- Develop working knowledge of day-to-day hauling operations and account for variances while promoting Waste Management Operating Standards
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: No prior work experience (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Valid Driver's License
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Must be willing to work various start times to include early morning hours
- Must be able to ride in vehicle for up to 12 hours or sit at a desk for up to 12 hours per day
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Must have exceptional time management and organizational skills in order to plan days, complete route analyses, make travel reservations, meet all reporting requirements and training arrangements
- Proven problem solving ability and successful conflict resolution
- History of leadership achievements
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong analytical skill
- Work Standards - Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Safety Awareness - Identifying and correcting conditions that affect employee safety and upholding safety standards.
- Managing Work (Includes Time Management) - Effectively managing one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Active Learning - Demonstrating zeal for new information, knowledge, and experiences, regularly seeking and capitalizing on learning opportunities; quickly assimilating and applying new information.
- Building Trust - Interacting with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization.
- Applied Learning - Assimilating and applying new job-related information in a timely manner.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: landfill/outdoor.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability.As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on Pension, and more!Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days.Please note that benefits may vary by site.
**This position is eligible for the 2018 Special Bonus of $2000. This bonus is paid after completion of one year of service with WM.**
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Job Field: Operations