Waste Management Engineer in Training (Intern) - Lufkin/Houston, Texas in LUFKIN, Texas
Title: Engineer in Training (Intern) - Lufkin/Houston, Texas
Location: United States-Texas-Lufkin
Job Number: 18005813
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects
I. Job Summary
Design, cost, construct and evaluate processes to minimize waste and/or maximize value recovery of streams using mechanical, chemical and thermal separation methods.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilitiesinclude the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Uses prescribed methods and performs portions of a broader assignment which requires the application of advanced engineering techniques and procedures in support of an engineering department.
- Applies standard practices and techniques in specific situations, adjusts and correlates data, recognizes discrepancies in results and follows operations through a series of related detailed steps or processes.
- Reviews data and prepares recommendations, summaries, and cost estimates for consideration by senior engineers or managers.
- Utilizes basic engineering skill-set to assist more senior engineers.
- Writes technical reports to document engineering analysis and findings.
- Conducts feasibility studies for proposed equipment and systems. May assist senior engineer in reviewing design and development plans and/or cost estimates for completing the proposed projects and evaluates engineering proposals and specifications.
- May act as a liaison with customer and vendor representatives to ensure adherence to design specification and customer requirements.
- Conducts on-site technical visits. Monitors field installation and testing. Reviews and evaluates operational efficiency of equipment and systems at various facilities.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
Required: Interns must have a High school diploma or G.E.D., and be pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in a field of study relevant to the internship.
- Completed Course Work Hours: 60.0
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
Passed Part I of the Professional Engineering Exam (F.E., E.I.T.)
Knowledge of AutoCad, Solidworks, and Visio
Knowledge of Excel with VBA
Knowledge of Process Flow Diagrams (PFD)
Knowledge of Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID)
Knowledge of Material and Energy Balances (MEB)
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc)most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 poundsrarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc)rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elementsrarely;
- Normal setting for this job is:office setting.
- Travel: 20-40%
Job Field: Engineering/Environmental Protection