Waste Management EH&s Specialist in LEWISVILLE, Texas
Title: EH&s Specialist
Location: United States-Texas-Lewisville
Job Number: 18004138
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
This position provides project staff support and oversight to ensure the implementation of established environmental and safety policies, programs, and processes, so that operations are managed to keep people safe and protect the environment. This includes ensuring compliance/conformance with: environmental and safety legal requirements; Corporate Environmental Protection and Safety programs and requirements; and regulatory and permit related environmental and safety requirements. Manages assigned EHS program(s) and information systems to achieve goals and meet company, customer, or regulatory requirements. Utilize ability to professionally interface with various levels of staff within WM and customer project site staff. Travel within Area up to 40%
II. Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other ancillary duties may be assigned.
- Provides on-site or off-site project staff guidance/support proactively or upon request. Helps communicate expectations related to implementing or maintaining required EHS programs/processes/procedures. Assists operations in developing site-specific procedures or action plans, and training materials as needed.
- Conducts remote or on-site safety and/or environmental assessments and audits for conformance to company procedures and permit requirements. Help project staff develop corrective/preventive action and tracks any issues identified to completion.
- Manages several EHS projects/programs as assigned which may include the following, but is not limited to:
- Operations review, continual improvement, and Cross Functional Team
- Safety Near Miss / Unsafe Condition and/or Peer Observation Program review, tracking, and data analysis
- WMU Administration (curriculum, training groups, assignments, trouble-shooting) and related materials distribution and updates
- Safety and/or Environmental Recognition Programs
- Rules Book Implementation and Updates
- Safety or Environmental special focus or training events
- Safety or Environmental performance summaries and communications
- Administers or uses certain databases and software (e.g., AIMS, CYCLE, ACE, Dakota Tracer, Excel, ARI Insights, DISA, CA DMV, SharePoint, InfoPath, etc.) to track people, assets, program conformance, regulatory compliance, and similar.
- Maintains/updates and helps develop EHS training such as EHS Orientation training, EPA-required training and conducts for WM staff.
- Provides environmental, and/or safety regulatory summaries and/or guidance to project staff related to typical project operations.
- Assists in the management of incidents and injuries, including cause analysis, corrective/preventive action implementation.
- Anticipates typical problems, identifies recurring problems, and takes appropriate action commensurate with experience.
- Assists management regarding problem resolution, EHS goal setting, and programmatic improvements needed.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
No direct reports, but regularly responsible for assigning tasks and coaching project staff.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Safety, Environmental, or similar area of study (accredited), or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and at least 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: 5 years of hands-on and programmatic safety/compliance experience, and/or waste-related programmatic environmental/compliance experience including training experience with at least 3 years of experience (concurrent with Safety and Environmental experience) working within manufacturing and industrial operations (in addition to education requirements).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Certified Safety Professional, a plus
- LEED Accreditation, a plus
- Professional training including:
- RCRA Hazardous Waste Training
- 40-hour or 24-hour Hazwoper Training, or equivalent experience
- First Aid/CPR Trained/Certified, preferred
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and ability to learn to use computer information systems readily
- Knowledgeable and experience in interpreting regulations that include some or all the following: RCRA hazardous and solid waste; recycling; TSCA/PCB; DOT hazardous materials regulations; DOT motor carrier safety; and OSHA.
- Experience conducting environmental and safety audits or inspections
- Experience developing corrective and preventive actions related to incidents, injuries, or non-conformances
- Experience and ability to revise or develop written environmental or programs and training materials
- Experience conducting training classes to employees in person or via webcast
- Experience participating in incident or failure analysis
- Experience in managing data and summarizing for broad distribution or Experience implementing safety or environmental programs to achieve established goals
- Experience applying for and maintaining environmental or transportation, preferred
D. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities that Contribute to Success
- Ability to handle successfully multiple projects at one time
- Initiative to work independently, but also effective in a team setting
- Strong and effective communicator both written and verbally
- Ability to do research and learn about varied topics (including Internet research) and summarize information in simple-to-understand fashion
- Ability to be persuasive and communicate expectations while providing support to achieve goals and expectations
- Ability to facilitate group discussions and activities and to mentor others
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with all levels of internal and external customers, from frontline worker to upper management
- Must be able to travel up to 20-40% of the time.
V. Work Environment and Essential Functions
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. [Note: the following is defaulted for office setting position]
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects up to __ pounds regularly and up to __ pounds occasionally;
- Required to climb fixed ladders, walk on uneven terrain, and walk distances of up to __ miles occasionally;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, exposure to toxic chemicals, noise, heavy equipment operations, etc.) occasionally;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements frequently;
- Required to wear Personal Protective Equipment such as: steel-toed boots, , safety glasses and hard hat, frequently;
- Ability to drive company pickup or rental car and work remotely, when necessary.
Normal setting for this job is: office or industrial facility setting;
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Overtime Status: Exempt
Job Field: Safety