Waste Management Heavy Equipment Operator / Scalehouse Operator in Fairfax, Virginia
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
This is a unique role that will primarily support the scalehouse but will work on heavy equipment (Yellow Iron) periodically.
I. Job Summary
Serves as the first point of contact for customers depositing waste at a Waste Management Facility; calculates payments, checks loads, and ensures the safety of the customer and other employees through observation of safety rules and regulations.
Will also operate a wide variety of heavy equipment vehicles that perform the spreading and compaction of construction demolition, commercial and residential waste disposed at the post collection facilities
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
· Greets customers, directs customers and other traffic, and answers questions accurately.
· Correctly calculates payments for customers.
· Ensures that incoming garbage loads are safe and do not contain any inappropriate material.
· Ensures that customers and employees conduct all business in a safe manner and wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
· Provides general upkeep of the Scale House.
· Completes all administrative tasks including regular filing, and completes required reports.
· Keeps immediate supervisor fully informed of all problems or matters requiring his/her attention.
· Attends company sponsored training and meetings as directed.
· Works overtime as needed.
· Performs other duties as assigned, including data entry and minor customer service responsibilities.
· Approaches all encounters with employees, customers and vendors in a friendly, service oriented manner.
· Operates heavy equipment in compliance with the company operating safety policies and procedures.
· Conducts routine equipment inspections and preventative maintenance on equipment; maintains accurate records
· Moves and positions raw materials and finished components with use of material moving equipment.
· Follow appropriate standard operating procedures as guideline for operating and maintaining vehicle
· Performs other duties as assigned.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
Education: Not Required
Experience: Two (2) years of previous experience
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Driver License
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Computer knowledge and previous cash handling experience preferred
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds occasionally;
Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely;
Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the work day;
Normal setting for this job is: Transfer Station.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
I understand that applying to this job indicates that I have the legal right to work in the United States. I agree to perform physical duties of this position as outlined in the job with or without reasonable accommodations. I understand that if offered the position, I will be required to pass a drug screen.