Waste Management Labourer - Thorhild Landfill - $2000 Special Bonus in ALBERTA, Canada
Title: Labourer - Thorhild Landfill - $2000 Special Bonus
Job Number: 18005531
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Starting Wage: $18.42/hour
Schedule: Tuesday to Saturday
Rotating shifts: 06:30 – 15:00 & 10:30 – 19:00 - alternating Saturdays 07:30 – 15:00. Subject to change based on waste receipt volumes.
I. Job Summary
Performs various tasks in a landfill including containing loose refuse to prevent scattering, directing traffic at the landfill, installing litter fence, cutting grass, pumping water, completing various site inspection and participating withing the odour monitoring plan.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned and may vary by location.
- Manually picks up windblown paper from periphery of landfill. Carries a large plastic trash bag and walks along the fenced border of the landfill, as well as on exterior land adjacent to the public property. Pulls paper from the fence and lifts loose paper from the ground, depositing refuse in bag until full.
- Lifts construction materials for projects related to site maintenance i.e., lumber, bags of concrete mix, hand tools, etc. Uses hand tools such as shovels, picks, axes and chain saws.
- Cleans and maintains various office/shop spaces.
- When traffic at landfill is extraordinarily heavy, the labourer is stationed at the landfill entrance to direct the traffic. Directs the flow of trucks. Communicates with the drivers verbally or by hand signals.
- Assist operators with maintenance of heavy equipment. i.e, clean tracks and wash inside of cab.
- Assist light equipment operator with various tasks associated with the leachate and landfill gas control systems.
- Maintain a positive and productive attitude.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: None required.
- Experience: No prior work experience required.
- Preferred experience:Experience with light equipment an asset
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 license.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Computer skills.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) part of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects occasionally;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the work day;
- Normal setting for this job is: outdoor/landfill.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, company pension, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
**This position is eligible for the 2018 Special Bonus of $2000. This bonus is paid after completion of one year of service with WM.**
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Job Field: Labor General/Skilled/Trade