Waste Management Fleet Manager - London & Sarnia in Ontario, Canada
WM is seeking a Fleet Manager for our London & Sarnia Districts to oversee the maintenance department and manage the full fleet of equipment in alignment with corporate objectives and cost management processes. Working closely with the District Manager and Senior District Fleet Manager, you will lead our Mechanics to ensure safe and effective use of resources, inventory, time & capital.
- Achieving market base profitability through effective management of all fleet and maintenance activities within the district including cost control, employee development and high training/safety standards.
- Ensuring safe and reliable vehicles are available to meet operational requirements while effectively managing utilization of vehicle assets.
- Conducting fleet evaluations to ensure maintenance standards are met.
- Ensuring the cleanliness and maintenance of the maintenance shops through regular inspections and preventive maintenance program implementation.
- Ensuring maintenance shops are adequately staffed and mechanics are properly trained. Overseeing personnel needs of the department including selecting, coaching, training, evaluating and disciplining.
- Ensuring adherence to WM’s Mission to Zero standards to encourage safe and efficient operations. Executing necessary precautions to ensure safety and compliance with Company regulations.
- Meeting all financial review dates and Corporate directed programs in a timely fashion, monitoring budget and operating metrics while diagnosing and improving processes, procedures and performance.
- Conducting employee safety meetings to maintain favourable working relationships among all employees and promote maximum morale, productivity and efficiency. Working with functional groups to resolve employee relations and labour relations issues as required.
What It Takes
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated leadership skills; ability to coach, mentor and train employees.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment, strong organizational skills with a clear sense of urgency about planning and work execution.
- Proven experience driving accountability and results in subordinates
- Ability to deal tactfully with vendors, suppliers and contractors who provide a broad spectrum of products and services.
- Ability to deal effectively with all levels of management within different functional areas of the organization.
- Working knowledge of unionized environments; strong ability to manage employee/labour relation issues; progressive discipline processes.
- Adept at conducting research into service-related issues; sound working knowledge of heavy duty trucks, waste collection vehicles an asset.
Education & Experience
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree, or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma/GED and 3 years in a role with fleet management responsibility.
- Required: 3 years of relevant work experience (in addition to education requirement) in transportation, logistics, or solid waste operations in which you were responsible for coaching, managing safety and leading employees.
- Required: Valid driver’s licence
- Asset: 310T Truck & Coach Licence or Red Seal Certification
Why Waste Management
As North America’s largest residential recycler, WM is driven by a commitment to excellence and leadership. We provide real opportunities for career growth while making a difference in the communities we serve. If you are ready for a career opportunity with a company whose real goals, values and initiatives match yours – we invite you to visit us at www.wmcareers.com to learn even more about this and other opportunities with WM!
Benefits & Perks
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including flexible coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability benefits. We offer a discounted rate on WM Stock Purchase, match on RRSP contribution and paid vacation and holidays!
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Title: Fleet Manager - London & Sarnia
Requisition ID: 17015194