Waste Management Sr Manager - Technical Accounting & Policy in Houston, Texas
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
The Sr. Manager, Technical Accounting & Policy, will be a key member of the Chief Accounting Officer’s organization and will complement the department’s other technical accounting resources. The position requires a strong understanding of U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (“US GAAP”) and will be involved in the interpretation and implementation of new accounting pronouncements, technical accounting research projects, assessing the accounting for significant and unusual business transactions, drafting new accounting policies and procedures, revising existing policies and procedures as necessary for changes in US GAAP, communicating accounting conclusions across the enterprise and training other parts of Finance on policy changes. Position will collaborate extensively with the CAO, Director of Financial Accounting, Director of Corporate Accounting, Director of Internal Controls and Senior Manager of External Reporting.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Research and document accounting positions for complex transactions
- Assist with the implementation of new accounting standards, including developing accounting policies and procedures and financial disclosures
- Follow emerging accounting issues and proactively analyze their impact on the Company’s results of operations and financial position
- Provide guidance and training on technical accounting issues to various departments within the Company
- Lead cross-functional project teams required to address accounting policy/procedure changes, ensuring that all required elements of the organization are engaged in the process from initiation to launch
- Manage project plans by identifying the critical path, organizational constraints, costs and resource requirements
- Work across the organization to align support and input for the projects and oversee and coordinate functional participation
- Provide feedback to team members regarding performance and achievement of objectives, as applicable
- Assist with evaluating the accounting consequences of potential transactions and provide input and suggestions to planned and proposed agreements, as requested
- Oversee special projects within the Accounting function, as needed
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of managerial employees. This includes:
- The job does not currently include any direct supervisory responsibilities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance; Master’s Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance, preferred
- Seven plus years of relevant, progressive experience; with extensive experience interpreting and applying U.S. GAAP. A combination of public accounting (Big 4) and public company accounting experience, preferred.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Required: CPA
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Strong understanding of GAAP, Sarbanes Oxley and SEC regulations;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; and
- Exceptional business acumen.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely;
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Title: Sr Manager - Technical Accounting & Policy
Requisition ID: 17013268