Waste Management Field Operations Auditor II in Houston, Texas
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
The ideal candidate will possess a keen business sense who intuitively understands the benefits of improved process efficiency and safety in servicing our customers.The ability to comfortably interact with front line operations management and staff in an industrial setting will be critical to success. Experience with a focus on operational process improvement and Lean Six Sigma knowledge and experience would be beneficial. This experience gained in the fields of logistics or manufacturing would also be a plus.
This role is not suited to a candidate seeking a traditional financial auditor role, although experience in that role would be beneficial to the successful candidate overall skill set.
The internal audit team is committed to reviewing business processes through the lens of increased operational efficiency, cost avoidance, and improved control infrastructure. Within that larger role, the operational risk management team has aligned fieldwork with WM’s goals of driving safety, service, and savings by supporting business process improvement initiatives. This role will directly support these efforts by ensuring the elements of sustainability are in place.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.Other minor duties may be assigned.
Assists in analyzing complex business process components, departments and operations for:
operational efficiency and effectiveness
- sustainability of continuous improvement elements
- cost control and cash flow opportunities
- compliance with established plans, policies, procedures, controls and applicable regulations
- Oversees audits and projects that review operational processes including the functionality of workflow, efficiency, performance metrics and alignment with strategy.
- Reports out on opportunities observed and solutions agreed upon with business process owners.
- Manages and resolves ever-changing priorities and demands; confronts issues and takes decisive action on own accord.
- Contributes meaningfully to planning, coordinating and performing risk assessments of all assigned audits.
- Determines effective data analytic techniques to aid in audit testing as well as creating audit plan development and programs.
- Responsible for preparing accurate and descriptive audit work papers and reports through interviews, document review, surveys and other audit testing procedures.
- Actively seeks out ways to develop and implement improvements to audit methodology, client service and administrative processes.
- Required travel of approximately 25% to audit or otherwise assist other sites.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This role has no “direct report” supervisory duties, but the successful candidate will provide (and receive) support and coaching to fellow team members in a transparent effort promoting professional growth and development.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
Required:Bachelor's Degree, or equivalent from an accredited college or university, three years of full time experience in internal auditing, external auditing, operations, accounting, business analysis, or process improvement, and Lean Six Sigma knowledge and experience.
Preferred:Master's Degree or equivalent in accounting, finance, or business administration or similar area of study, three years of audit experience with established internal audit department or public accounting firm, supplemented by a Certified Lean Six Sigma Green Belt.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
None required but desired to have certification such as Lean Six Sigma Certification, CIA, CPA, or CFE completed or in the process of completing.
Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Ability to learn new systems and operations quickly.
- Ability to work independentlyand within a team; build solid relationships with team members and seek and provide guidance, clarification, and feedback.
- Self-motivated and willing to take necessary actions to get the assigned tasks completed.
- Ability to apply strong understanding of risk recognition in operational processes with solid core analytical and problem solving skills.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc)most of the work day.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 poundsrarely.
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc)rarely.
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elementsfrequently.
- Normal setting for this job is: combinationoffice setting and field operations.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.” *MSJA*
Title: Field Operations Auditor II
Requisition ID: 17007511